This blog has been the hardest task to complete this summer by far. In part, the challenge comes from trying to sum up three months’ worth of work in just a few paragraphs. But it’s even more challenging coming to terms with the fact that this post marks the end of my internship here at de Novo. As the Summer Marketing Intern, this experience has taught me more than I could have ever imagined.
My duties here were ever-changing and it’s tough to recall everything that I’ve taken in and learned over the past few months. Being able to be part of this year’s “Fastest Growing Companies” banquet and experiencing just how great de Novo is, even outside the office, was an experience I won’t forget. Though there are many valuable takeaways from being part of the de Novo team, here are some key things I learned:
- At de Novo, your ideas are welcome and valued by everyone, which is so important in an internship.
- Being thrown into a photo or video shoot will happen, and you must be prepared to play the role you’re asked to with full confidence.
- Experience working with clients is invaluable—I can thank the account team for bringing me to client meetings and letting me experience this first hand.
- I have learned to never pass up a cookie, even if you don’t need it.
- You will have failures and triumphs—learn from them.
- Being part of this team means learning from the best, brightest and goofiest.
As a final thought, my whole life has been spent in a class room, but my internship at de Novo has helped me get my foot in the door and experience a dose of what it’s like going to an everyday job. With any new experience, you’re exposed to the challenge of learning more about yourself. Being part of this team has helped me push myself out of my comfort zone and take full advantage of the opportunities that come my way. de Novo is a creative, judgement-free zone where you are able to make mistakes and blossom from them. And whether it’s a potluck, staff meeting or just a “normal” Tuesday, there’s always something exciting happening here that you can learn from.
I can’t thank the team enough for taking me in with arms wide open and giving me this amazing opportunity to learn from people who have so much expertise and talent in what they do.